Cardiovascular Area(s) Rules:
- A 30-minute time limit on cardiovascular machines must be observed when someone is waiting. The weight and fitness staff will determine when to enforce time limits.
- Patrons must wipe down machines after use with the provided towels and cleaning solution.
Free Weight Area Rules:
All weight training should be performed in a controlled, safe manner. Dropping, slamming, or bouncing of weights (both with free weights or selectorized weight training equipment) is prohibited.
- Olympic lifting is prohibited in the open floor.
- The use of chalk is prohibited.
- Spotters are recommended for all lifters.
- All equipment, including plates and dumbbells must be returned to appropriate racks when finished.
- Weight collars (clips) are required.
- All free weight equipment must be kept in the free weight area.
- Weights and bars of any kind should not lean up against the walls, pillars, equipment, or mirrors.
Weight Room General Rules:
Participants must be 16 years of age or older to use the weight and fitness rooms. Anyone who is under 16 years of age is not allowed in the weight and fitness areas.
No food, tobacco of any kind, chewing gum, glass bottles, or cans are allowed. Only water, carried in a plastic container with a lid/cap, is permitted.
Profanity or excessively loud or suggestive language will not be tolerated.
All users are encouraged to bring a clean towel to use on the weight equipment, and to wipe down cardiovascular equipment and weight machine padding after each use. (Covering the padded equipment with a towel helps prolong the life of the equipment and keeps bacteria, such as MRSA, from spreading to the next user.)
- Patrons should use extreme caution in lifting weights to avoid potential injuries to themselves or others.
- All equipment must remain in the area it was found. Do not move equipment from one location to another.
- All equipment must be used in the manner for which it was designed. Do not attempt to modify the equipment.
- No outside personal training is permitted in the facility. Personal training can be arranged through the weight and fitness staff.
- Do not attempt to use equipment if unfamiliar with the proper use. Please ask the weight and fitness staff for assistance.
Appropriate exercise attire is required in the weight and fitness rooms (T-shirts, tank tops, shorts, warm-up suits, sweat suits, and athletic shoes are acceptable attire when working out). Closed-toe athletic shoes are required. Sandals, open-toe shoes, hard-soled shoes, string tank tops, cut-off tank tops, mesh tank tops, jeans, street clothing, and anything that compromises the safety and professionalism of the weight and fitness rooms are prohibited
Personal belongings such as backpacks, wallets, etc., may not be placed anywhere in the weight and fitness rooms. Coin-operated day lockers are located in the hallway outside the weight and fitness room for your convenience. There are also lockers located in the locker rooms.
Please direct all questions, concerns, and maintenance needs to a weight and fitness staff person on duty.
Fitness Room A Reservation Policy:
Room A, the large multipurpose room behind the racquetball courts, is available to reserve on a first come, first served basis, when it is not being used for Rec Center programs.
- Room A may be reserved up to 24 hours in advance for one hour at a time.
- Only non-marking athletic shoes are allowed in the multi-purpose rooms (i.e. NO tap shoes, heels, boots, ECT)
- No food or beverage (other than water) is permitted in the room
- Participants do not have access or permission to use the equipment or stereo system. They must bring their own equipment.
- Any student organization, group, or individual wishing to reserve Room A should click the link below: https://roomareserve.youcanbook.me/
Group Exercise Rules
- All group exercise class participants must be at least 16 years of age or older.
- Classes are on a First Come, First Serve basis, therefore, participants are highly encouraged to arrive on time to class. Late participants may be denied entry to class, at the instructor’s discretion, due to the importance of a sufficient warm-up period as well as disruption of class flow.
- It is highly recommended that participants stay for the entire group exercise class to ensure participation in the proper cool-down and stretching phase of the class.
- All equipment must remain in the multipurpose rooms and must be returned to its proper location after use. Equipment from other areas be brought into the multi-purpose rooms.
- Personal items can be stored in the cubicles provided in the multipurpose room, in the coin-operated lockers, or in the locker rooms.
- Only nonmarking athletic shoes are allowed in the multi-purpose rooms.
- All participants are encouraged to bring a towel and water bottle.
- No food or drink, other than water, is permitted in the group exercise rooms.